Archive | Featured RSS feed for this section

ECO FRIENDLY ALTERNATIVE TO PAPER CUPS

20 Mar

Whether it is your hot tea or cold coffee, you were always dependent on plastic cups. But not anymore, as now there are biodegradable alternatives to the paper cups, and they are eco friendly and inexpensive as well. By consciously choosing a green product, we positively contribute towards a clean and healthy world.

There are some companies today that manufacture paper cups using Polylactic acid (PLA), which is derived from 100% renewable resource of fermented plant starch. While it retains the sturdiness of a plastic, it is easily compostable and aptly called bioplastic. PLA cups, the best alternative to paper cups can handle the hottest drinks, and are freezer safe as well.

Conforming to US Food & Drug Administration guidelines, new paper cups are sterilized, sanitized, and non-toxic. Moreover, since these cups are compostable, they magically help to get rid of the litter.

Advertisements

Biodegradable materials and composting

5 Mar

“Biodegradable”  or  “photodegradable” mean that the materials will break down and return to nature within a reasonably short time after customary disposal.

Composting turns degradable materials into useable compost-humus-like material that enriches the soil and returns nutrients to the earth. “Compostable” claims would be appropriate on products or packages that will break down, or become part of usable compost (for example, soil-conditioning material or mulch), in a safe and timely manner in home compost piles. For composting, a “timely manner” is approximately the same time that it takes organic compounds, like leaves, grass, and food stuff, to compost.

biodegradable cups, biodegradable plates, biodegradable clamshells, biodegradable take-out containers

The Basic Problem with Coffee Cups

5 Mar

What do most coffee drinkers think about when drinking a cup of coffee? For the organizers of Sustainability is Sexy, it’s the environmental impact of their coffee cup. These are a few of the environmental problems with using disposable paper coffee cups:

  • During the manufacturing process, cups are laminated with a plastic resin called polyethylene. This helps keep beverages warm and prevents the paper from absorbing liquids and leaking. The plastic also prevents the cup from being recycled. Every paper cup that is manufactured and coated with plastic resin ends up in a landfill. Once in a landfill, the paper will begin to decompose. This process releases methane, a greenhouse gas with 23 times the heat-trapping power of carbon dioxide.
  • Typical paper coffee cups aren’t made from recycled paper. Instead, most cups are manufactured using 100% bleached virgin paperboard. Why don’t manufacturers use recycled paper? Firstly, FDA regulations are strict when it comes to allowing recycled paper pulp to be in direct contact with food and beverages. Secondly, recycled paper isn’t strong enough to hold a liquid. In the late 1990’s, Starbucks experimented with a variety of coffee cups made with recycled paper. Unfortunately, the cups were too often flimsy and leaked their contents.[1] As of 2007, Starbucks has begun to use cups made from 10% post-consumer materials, while the remaining 90% of the cup is composed of new paper.
  • The process involved with manufacturing paper cups is extremely resource intensive. Manufacturing paper requires harvesting trees and using machines to turn the wood into wood chips. The chips are heavily washed to remove any dirt, and then mixed with more water and processed. The resulting paper pulp is dried and the fibers are pressed together to make paper. The entire process requires a substantial amount of water, energy… and a lot of trees.

biodegradable cups, biodegradable plates, biodegradable clamshells, biodegradable take-out containers

GREEN – BIODEGRADABLE PAPER PLATES

20 Oct

There is no denying the fact that plastic paper plates are the standard in use every time and everywhere. Also, it is a known fact about the kind of environmental hazard and damage that plastic creates. NewBiodegradable provides an opportunity to clear this white waste with a green alternative.

The Polylactic acid or PLA cups not only help to keep the earth clean, but also keep us away from harmful toxins that otherwise pollute our bodies when we use plastic paper plates. NewBiodegradable manufactures all varieties and forms of eco friendly paper plates in a green way, by consuming less energy and producing even lesser harmful waste. A little contribution every day, by everybody, would change the face of the planet, starting with you.